A Careers Seminar Unveiling an Army of Opportunities!
Last week, a representative from the British Army visited RGS to lead a Careers Seminar on Careers in the Army. David Oakes, an army recruitment officer, expertly guided pupils through the vast range of opportunities, as well as discussing the recruitment process, selection criteria, scholarships, and bursaries.
David highlighted the seven distinct career paths available in the Army, emphasising that 25% of recruits specialise in combat roles such as infantry or artillery, while the remaining 75% focus on other areas such as engineering, HR, finance, support, intelligence, communications, IT, medical, logistics, support, and music. Additionally, he clarified the distinctions between soldier and officer roles, outlining how soldiers specialise in specific fields, while officers are selected to lead, manage, and motivate, with the option to specialise.
Beyond combat, David explained the Army’s involvement in national defence, international conflict resolution, and responding to large-scale emergencies. He underscored the versatility of highly trained soldiers who contribute to various efforts, including supporting the NHS, managing floods, and training military forces abroad. Examples included responding to floods in the UK, providing humanitarian aid during the Ebola outbreak in Africa, and assisting in the Caribbean post-hurricanes.
The seminar engaged pupils, covering roles, salaries, financial support, bursaries, non-combat pathways, and the Army’s role in crisis management and humanitarian endeavours. David responded to questions from pupils, providing factual information and insights into the diverse aspects of Army careers.
The consensus among pupils was they gained a significantly greater understanding of the modern British Army, irrespective of their specific career interests. The seminar contributed to a broader perspective on the diverse opportunities within the armed forces. Our thanks to David for visiting RGS and providing such a detailed and interesting presentation for our Careers seminar.